Cougar part 2 – The interior

When I first looked at the interior of this kit I was quite surprised at how sparse it seemed – especially the seats.  However after having a look online all of the interior shots I could find showed a rather simple, uncluttered interior.20170416_215923.jpg

I first placed the interior floor into the chassis and noted any injector pin marks that were going to remain visible.  There were a few in the front cabin so I filled them in and sanded them flat.  I then base coated everything in Tamiya NATO black.20170417_000229.jpg

This was followed by a gradual build up of Vallejo Model Air sand yellow.The few interior components were painted and installed and then everything was weathered with some dry brushing and pigments.  Again, I wanted to weather it pretty heavily, but I couldn’t find any supporting reference photos.  These things seem to be kept pretty clean.

20170417_234922.jpgThe cabin dash has some nice details, easily bought out with some simple dry brushing.  The dials are decals which I had some problems applying.  They’re each slightly larger than the ‘holes’ they are supposed to fit in, so they were unnecessarily fiddly.  Once in place (or as close as to in place as I could get them) I used Micro Sol to help them conform.  If you look carefully you’ll probably notice some of them aren’t quite placed perfectly.

20170417_235038.jpg

Next I started working on all the seats.  I painted them dark grey with a black wash to try and give them some depth. The seatbelts are provided in the kit on rubber sprues. The rubber is softer and more flexible than standard polycaps and as I quickly found out, doesn’t respond well to superglue (CA glue).  There are left and right belts for each seat and they were applied using normal Tamiya extra thin glue and a toothpick to press them into the melted plastic.  I then used a fine paintbrush and some aluminium paint to pick out the belt buckle details.  Overall the belts were a tedious task, but worth the effort as they really hep sell the otherwise plain seats.20170420_000026.jpg20170420_000008.jpg

I dirtied them up with some pigments but otherwise I left them alone.  All that was left was the simple process of painting and weathering the walls and roof, then attaching the lights. The turret ring is designed so that it securely attaches to the hull chassis but can still rotate freely.  In practice once a few layers of paint are applied to the top surface the turret becomes too hard to move, so its worth putting it on the angle you want and leaving it alone.

20170420_225043_001.jpg

20170420_233028.jpg

Finally I painted the interior of the window frames and installed all the windows with a few drops of Tamiya extra thin.  With the vehicle’s interior painted I could now move onto finalising the build before exterior painting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s