Tamiya 1/48 King Tiger

IMG_3371

Tamiya’s 1/48 King Tiger is nice little kit with a surprising amount of detail for a model that is quite a bit smaller than the usual 1/35 kits I build. I didn’t have a specific plan when I started it, other than I wanted to build it pretty much out of the box and pretty heavily weathered.

IMG_3162.jpg

The kit has the early Porsche turret and although the cover picture shows it with Zimmerit, no Zimmerit is included.  I was fine with this – the weather I had in mind was going to be better without it.

IMG_3185.jpg

The hull is die cast, which is nice and gives it a lot of weight.  Parts attached directly to the hull needed to be superglued but the upper hull attaches with screws.  It all went together easily, without fit issues.IMG_3194.jpg

My plan was to have very heavy chipping on the tank, so with that in mind I started by painting everything in a dark red steel colour:

IMG_3197.jpg

I sprayed a MIG chipping fluid over this, then as soon as it had dried I sprayed a red primer (Rotbraun):

IMG_3201.jpg

Once the primer had dried, I rubbed it carefully with water in select areas to  chip it away, exposing the steel.  I had a follower on instagram comment that this primer would never chip away and that it’s unrealistic, but I’ve found a few photos of tanks where the primer has done exactly that.

IMG_3218.jpg

Using Panzer Putty, I masked out an outline for the next colour, dunkelgelb Aus 44 DGIII.  Once masked, I sprayed the chipping fluid again, followed by the paint:

 

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3228.jpgIMG_3232.jpg

I then chipped the this the same way as the primer:

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

Once more, I masked, sprayed the chipping fluid followed by a coat of  Resedagrun with a few drops of the previous Dunkelgelb. This final layer was also then chipped.

IMG_3266.jpgIMG_3267.jpgIMG_3268.jpg

Tracks went on, followed by decals.  The tracks were weathered with oil paints:IMG_3288.jpgIMG_3293.jpg

I used a selection of oil paints, including some of the new Mig Oilbrushers’ – where where pretty good. I first used them as a general filter to help tie the camo together, then applied more specific rust and grime streaks. Rust was applied more liberally on the horizontal surfaces:

IMG_3307.jpg

Finally, I finished everything up using Mig Pigments:

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

A couple of detail touch-ups and I’m very happy with the final result:

IMG_3357.jpgIMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3359.jpgIMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

 

 

One thought on “Tamiya 1/48 King Tiger

  1. I see you don’t monetize jbmodelslog.com, don’t waste your
    traffic, you can earn extra bucks every month with new monetization method.
    This is the best adsense alternative for any type of website (they approve
    all sites), for more info simply search in gooogle: murgrabia’s tools

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s