Growler Part 2 – Black Basing

Putting this Hornet together has mostly been a pleasure.  The fit overall is great, as is the surface detail.  The instructions were lacking in a few areas – namely around the installation of the flaps and where some holes need to be drilled or filled.  I have the Hasegawa 1/48 F/A-18E and the build is almost identical, however the instructions are regarding the flap installation are much more thorough.

The trickiest part of the build is the installation of the intakes, however with lots of careful dry-fitting they go together okay.

g1.jpg

So I’m priming this in black (Tamiya Nato Black) and then going to do a few marble layers.  I prefer this to preshading and its a technique that appears to be gaining some popularity.

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

The intakes were painted before installation, as were the wheel wells.

g4.jpg

g5.jpg

The marble coat was built up in a random pattern with the airbrush.  I find this somewhat tedious to do, but still nowhere near as tedious as preshading panel lines.  The same method was applied to the darker top coat:

g6.jpg

g7.jpg

Next step is to apply some thin top coats to help tone down the marble effect.  Its worth noting that although Growlers are generally pretty clean – especially when compared to other Navy birds, I wanted to dirty this one up a bit more than usual.

g8.jpg

g9.jpg

g91.jpg

g92.jpg

g93.jpg

And finally, a bit of colour, then a clear coat in preparation for decals.

g94.jpg

Hasegawa’s 1/48 Growler – Part 1

I’d read a lot of good things about the Hasegawa Hornet before I picked up this kit.  It sat in my stash for a long time until I stumbled upon Wolfpack’s resin cockpit set (which actually cost me more than the kit itself).  So I picked it up and made a start.

g1.jpg

The resin is nice and crisp, without bubbles and all parts were intact.  I found removing the cockpit tubs from their casting blocks a tedious affair, and even made a small mishap with the saw and cut into the bottom of one of the tubs.  No biggie – I was able to patch it up pretty easily.g2.jpgg3.jpg

g4.jpg

g5.jpg

g6.jpg

The cockpit instructions were pretty average – though I’ve found that to be the norm with resin unfortunately.  Particularly what modifications need to be made to the fuselage to fit the tub.  Luckily, other than some trimming of the lower fuselage, it mostly drops in. Here’s a test fit:

g7.jpg